Wednesday, April 04, 2007

"Canvas One"!

I realise there has been much anticipation for the unveiling of my first ever work of art on canvas. That time is upon us. Steady. This could be one of those moments that is fondly referred to in art history in 100 years from now. Then again, it may not. I hereby give the blogo world "Canvas One".

Many people may question what my inspiration was for this piece. Just as many may not. All I can reveal is that I was invited into an impromptu art class with two teenagers a few weeks ago. While one painted a daffodil and another the silhouettes of trees - both children calm and quiet - I found myself slipping into an abstract abyss and being a wholly disruptive student. It was all a most enjoyable exercise and one that I would highly recommend. Eventually, after much layering of acrylic paint in front of the telly and unwarranted, ridiculous angst, my canvas was complete.

I will not be displeased with those of you who draw sincere comparisons with neo-plasticism and Mondrian's geometric grid compositions. I concede that the visual interplay between the lines and the "vortex" circle create a sense of pain and tension that is neither symmetrical or systematic. The work is both mysterious and timeless and, indeed, it has been said that there is a sense of the spiritual within this piece, with a counterpoint of hopelessness. Yes, I agree, it is pure abstraction, but at its heart this work is nothing but Truth.

At other times, I step back and I know that one thing is clear: I have painted a bloody flag.

And my flag should be rotated a quarter turn to the right, but I can't effing load it that way.

Art: it is pure pain.

A line about me...

My photo
Journalist, founder of Access Interviews.com, creator of The Definite Article interview column in Daily Mail's Weekend magazine.